ABOUT THE MUNROS

 Short History   Foulis Castle   Chiefs    Tartans   History Of Clan Munro Association of Canada 

 


Crest Badge

Crest Badge: An eagle perching; proper; wings inverted
Motto: Biodh Eagal de Ort
"Dread God"
"The Fear of the Lord be upon You"
Gaelic Name: Mac an Rothaich
Origin of Name: Gaelic Rothaich (man from Ro)
Plant Badge: Common club moss
War Cry: Caisteal Folais'n a Theine
(Castle Foulis in flames)
Pipe Music: Bealach na Broige
Hunting Tartan: 42nd Black Watch

Short History of the Munros

The origins of Clan Munro are lost in the distant past. By tradition, C11th mercenary soldiers from Ireland, they were granted Lands in Ross by a grateful King after assisting him in defeating the Viking invaders of this part of Scotland.

From documentary evidence, they were well established by the middle of the C14th on the north shore of the Cromarty Firth in the area known as Ferindonald (Donald's land) after their legendary first chief. From this narrow base comprising the modern parishes of Kiltearn and Alness they gradually spread their sphere of influence northwards and eastwards into the fertile plain of Easter Ross.

Initially, they held land as vassals of the powerful Earls of Ross but on the forfeiture of that earldom, directly from the Crown. In general a law abiding and peaceful clan, nevertheless when needs arose they stoutly defended their interests against more powerful neighbours.

Loyal to the Crown, early in the reformation the Chief and his followers adopted the Protestant faith, a move which greatly influenced future clan policy. Under their Chief they fought on the continent in the 30 Years War and supported the Protestant succession to the British Crown against the Catholic Stuarts during the Jacobite Risings of the C18th.

The Munros military record continued into the present century, providing the British Government with some of its finest fighting troops through the Highland Regiments. Clansmen and women have excelled in many professions including medicine and politics. Military expeditions, adventurism and social change in the Highlands saw the name Munro spread throughout the world. The power of the old Highland Chieftains has gone but the spirit of the Clan lives on through the Clan Munro Association which enjoys a world-wide membership.


^top

Foulis Castle
Seat of the Clan Munro

Foulis (Gaelic "Fo-glais" a steamlet) has of old been the home of Clan Munro. Acquired by a Munro Chief in the early Cl4th. Plans of the original castle are long since lost, but the grounds still contain the site of an C11th Mott (manmade mound topped by a wooden palisade).

The present Castle dates from the middle of Cl8th containing within its attractive Georgian structure the remains of a much earlier and altogether different defensive keep.

Sir Harry Munro returned after the 1745 Rising in which he lost both his father and uncle at the Battle of Falkirk, to find his ancient home destroyed by fire, and set about building the house you see today incorporating what he could of the old Cl6th keep. The courtyard pierced by three arches with its semi-octagonal tower dated 1754 hints at an earlier form of Scottish architecture, whilst the overall effect of the range of Cl8th domestic buildings, coachhouses, laundry, bakehouse, stables and well, shows a strong continental influence.

The slightly later and more formal Georgian front features a fine double entrance stair leading to a doorway formed from a first floor window in the pedimented centre piece with it's heraldic panel dated 1777. The short end elevations have elegant full height angled bays. The whole, very much in the manner of one of the Adams brothers.

Little has changed since, Foulis remains externally much as it was first built. Internally alterations made by succeeding generations add to the character of this interesting old building (still occupied by the Munros of Foulis), by here and there allowing glimpses of the vestiges of earlier architectural form exposed during renovations which can only hint as to how the Castle might have once looked.

Foulis Castle is 4 miles north east of Dingwall on the old road to Evanton and is open by appointment only.
Please write to avoid disappointment to:

Mrs. E. Munro of Foulis
Foulis Castle
Evanton
Ross-shire
Scotland
IV16 9UX


^top

PERSONAL CREST OF MUNRO OF FOULIS

The Chiefs of the Clan Munro

Name Died Comments
Finnian Munro

-

The Younger of Foulis (Eldest son of present Chief)
Hector W. Munro

-

The Present Chief
Capt. Patrick Munro 1995 son of Eva Marion, took the name of his maternal grandfather to become clan chief
Eva Marion 1976 eldest daughter of 11th baronet married Col C. H. Gascoigne
Col. Sir Hector Munro 1935 11th baronet, Seaforth highlanders ADC to Edward VII & George V - end of male line
Sir Charles Munro 1888 10th baronet, D.L. & J.P. for Ross-shire
Sir Charles Munro 1886 9th baronet, cousin
Sir Hugh Munro 1848 8th baronet - end of direct line
Sir Harry Munro 1781 7th baronet, rebuilt Foulis Castle after a fire destroyed it - MP for Ross-shire 1746 - 47
Col. Sir Robert Munro 1746 6th baronet, the Black Watch - killed at Falkirk, interred in the Churchyard of Falkirk
Sir Robert Munro 1729 5th baronet, the blind baron
Sir John Munro 1696 4th baronet, a zealous promoter of Presbyterian
Sir Robert Munro 1668 3rd baronet, son of Col John Munro of Obsdale
Sir Hector Munro 1651 2nd baronet, died age 17 - ending direct male line
Sir Hector Munro 1635 made 1st baronet by Charles I - died in Hamburg, Germany
Robert Munro 1633 the black baron served in the 30 years war - died at Ulm, Germany
Hector Munro 1603 brother of Robert
Robert Munro 1589 died 8 months after his father
Robert-Mor Munro 1588 added to the estate of Foulis, a loyal protector of Queen Mary- first Protestant and 1st to be buried at Kiltearn Church
Robert Munro 1547 loyal supporter of Scotland against invasion of Protector, Duke of Somerset - killed at Pinkie
Hector Munro 1541 extensive lands confirmed to him by James V at Stirling 1541
William Munro 1505 killed in a raid assisting Chief of the Mackays
John Munro 1490 in minority was under his uncle John who led the Clan at Clachnaharry 1454
George Munro 1452 under the Great Seal of James I, dated at St. Andrews 1426 - lands of great extent confirmed to him, killed at Bealach-nam-Brog
Hugh Munro 1425 joined the Lord of the Isles in contest with Duke of Albany 1411
Robert Munro 1369 a charter confirmed by David II of Scotland 1364


The following ten chiefs cannot be authenticated by contemporary evidence and therefore there is some doubt as to their existence but their names have been handed down by tradition and thus merit a place in the list.

George Munro 1333 succeeded his grandfather - continued his support of Bruce - killed at Halidon Hill
George Munro 1314 only son of Robert - predeceased his father - killed at Bannockburn
Robert Munro 1323 joined the party of Bruce in his claim to the throne of Scotland
George Munro 1282 had all his Ross-shire lands confirmed to him by charter from Alexander II before 1249
Robert Munro 1239 married daughter of Earl of Sutherland
Donald Munro 1195 said to have built the old Tower of Foulis 1154. Assisted Wm the Lion in repressing rebellion
Robert Munro 1164 loyal subject of David I and Malcolm IV - Interred in Church of Chanonry of Ross - burial place of Munros for 400 years
Hugh Munro 1126 first member of the line "Baron of Foulis"
George Munro 1101 said to have assisted Malcolm III in contention with Macbeth for Crown of Scotland
Donald Munro 1039 founder of the ancient House of Munro

^top


History of Clan Munro Association of Canada

Clan Munro Association of Canada is a branch of the world-wide Clan Munro (Association), founded in 1937. Its headquarters is in Scotland, with other branches in the USA, New Zealand, Australia and France. CM(A) seeks to maintain the best of the old traditions as well as provide a link between Munros in Scotland and those who have spread far beyond their old homeland.

Clan Munro Association of Canada (CMAC) was organized during 1974 by the late C.C. ‘Bud’ Munroe with the support and approval of our late Chief, Captain Patrick Munro of Foulis.

The First Meeting and Gathering of CMAC was held in June 1975 in Kemptville, ON, at the Royal Canadian Legion Branch #212 Hall. The Pipeband of this Legion was organized by Pipe Major Ralph Munro and had received permission from the Chief to wear the modern, red Munro tartan. This band is the only Pipeband in Canada who wears a Munro tartan. The weekend included a Dinner and Ceilidh on Friday, the first AGM on Saturday morning and attendance at the Ottawa Highland Games on Saturday.

The Second Gathering and Meeting of CMAC was held at King’s College, Dalhousie University in Halifax, NS, in July 1979, in conjunction with the International Gathering of the Clans. Friday evening was the Registration and Get-Together. The Business Meeting was held on Saturday morning, with a Dinner and Ceilidh in the evening. On Sunday, a parade and Drumhead Service were held at the historic Halifax Citadel.

The Third Gathering was held at Carleton University in Ottawa in 1980, with Meeting, Dinner, Ceilidh and attendance at the Glengarry Highland Games in Maxville, ON. The next Meeting was held at Munro Tent & Trailer Park, Powassan, ON, in 1982. This weekend Gathering included a Get-Together and Meeting, a Tour of the NORAD facilities in North Bay, a Tartan Dinner and Ceilidh. In 1983, we returned to Halifax and Dalhousie University for the International Gathering of the Clans. In 1987, we held our meeting in New Glasgow, NS, in conjunction with the Festival of the Tartans, and in 1991 we returned to Halifax. Subsequent Meetings have been held at members’ homes following attendance at local Highland Games.

CMAC members have been welcomed at Gatherings of the Clan Munro (Association) USA and the Clan Munro (Association) in Scotland, especially at the 70th Anniversary Gathering at Foulis in July 2007. CMAC was a founding member of the Clans and Scottish Societies of Canada (CASSOC) in 1977.

DIVISIONS:
On February 22, 1975, the first meeting of the British Columbia Division was held at the home of Donald and Jane Munro in West Vancouver.
On September 27, 1975, the first meeting of the Ontario Division was held at the home of John and Mary Munro in Hamilton.
On November 26, 1977, the first meeting of the Nova Scotia Division was held in Cameron Hall, Whycocomah, organized by Alcorn and Miriam Munro.

^top


 

Tartans

Modern (Red) Munro

The Black Watch (Hunting Tartan)

© 2010 The Clan Munro Association of Canada